Ah the many uses and wonders of apple cider vinegar. A staple for every home!
In this blog we are sharing some of our favourite ways to enjoy this age-old liquid gold, who would have thought one bottle could provide so many solutions!
Vinegar itself has a very long history, with some fascinating uses over the centuries. There are findings that show vinegar was used as far back as the Babylonians around 5,000 BCE! Some other notable references to vinegar mention Cleopatra as a fan, Hippocrates, the venerated Greek healer recommended the use of vinegar in a variety of preparations to treat everything from coughs to bacterial infections. Another ancient healer from the 11th century, Hildegard von Bingen was also an advocate for the use of vinegar to cleanse the body and aid digestion.
Then we move to look at the specific use of apples in vinegar which really blossomed in colonial America, where it became a popular beverage at the time of the American Revolution. The Normans took their taste for cider with them during the conquest of England, where its popularity spread from there throughout Europe.
Since the early 50s, there has been several well-known promoters of the benefits of apple cider vinegar, with today, many people enjoying a little each day as a support and added boost to their health and wellbeing.
It is key to mention that not all apple cider vinegars are created equal.
If we are enjoying it for health benefits, it is paramount to look for a raw, unpasteurised variety, containing the “mother”. Ceres Organics Apple Cider Vinegar not only uses New Zealand grown apples from Rangiora, but is also organic, undiluted, and unpasteurised. This means you are getting all the benefits of the good bacteria from the mother (think of it like the SCOBY in kombucha), as well as the bonuses of it being organic.
However, the beauty of this elixir does not stop at a morning shot, today we are sharing many other ways to enjoy Ceres Organics Apple Cider Vinegar – it really is just as great for your home as it is your body!
For a basic household solution, mix 1 part Ceres Organics Apple Cider Vinegar to 1 part water and keep it in a glass spray bottle.
Here are five ways you can use Ceres Organics Apple Cider Vinegar at home…
- Surface cleaner, simply use as you would a commercial variety. Feel free to add a couple of essential oil drops such as lemon or peppermint to give a clean fresh scent.
- Weed killer. It will require a few more applications than a chemical-based variety, however, much safer than a toxic solution, especially if you have pets and/or small children. You can also add a capful of natural liquid dish washing solution to boost it further.
- Clarifying hair rinse. Once you have shampooed your hair, simply spray the solution in your hair and massage it through, focusing on the roots. Leave for a minute or two and rinse. This gives the hair a wonderful shine and helps to remove build-up of any products that can weigh the hair down. Again, feel free to add a few drops of an essential oil such as rose or jasmine if you find the scent a little too strong.
- Flea treatment. Sprayed directly onto the fur of your pet can help not only reduce the itch but prevent more from jumping on. We wouldn’t suggest adding essential oils to this however, as animals, particularly dogs, have an extremely strong sense of smell and they may find it too overpowering (also not recommended for open skin wounds).
- As a produce cleanser. By spraying and wiping any fruits or vegetables you are eating the skin of, if not organic, the solution is said to help break down the excess coating of chemical sprays that might be present.
For use in your cooking and health, you can add Ceres Organics Apple Cider Vinegar to your soup recipes to help bring out the flavour, just a teaspoon will do.
You can also make a delicious winter wellness tonic by adding 1 teaspoon to the following…
- 1 tsp ginger juice
- 1 tsp turmeric juice
- 2 tsp Ceres Organics Maple Syrup
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- Hot water
This can be enjoyed any time of day, and is particularly great for sore throats, or when you are feeling a bug coming on. A little pinch of cayenne pepper added, and it acts like a natural energy drink!
We hope you enjoy giving these ideas a go at home, we think you’ll be impressed with just how effective it is.