Gluten Free & Vegan Christmas Cake
Our gluten-free Christmas cake is infused with the festive spirit! Made with organic dried berries and flavourful notes of cinnamon and orange zest, it’s a cake the whole family will enjoy!
plantbased, vegan, vegetarian, baking, christmas, sweettreats
- 150g Organic Dried Wild Blueberries
- 250g Organic Dried Cranberries
- 300g Organic Sultanas
- 300g Organic Raisins
- Zest from 1 orange
- 2 cups unsweetened apple juice
- 1 ¼ cups gluten free self raising flour
- 2 tsp ground mixed spice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¾ cup ground almonds
- ½ cup Organic RAW Whole Almonds
- Organic Pistachios
- Organic Dried Cranberries
- Place dried fruits and orange zest into a large mixing bowl. Pour over apple juice. Cover and leave for 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 150C (conventional bake). Line a 20cm x 10cm deep round cake tin with 2 layers of brown paper and one layer of baking paper to the base and sides of the tin.
- Mix flour, baking powder, spices and ground almonds into the soaked fruit. Spoon into the prepared tin. Using the back of the spoon smooth out the top of the cake. Press almonds in a decorative pattern on top of the cake. Bake for 2 ¼ – 2 ½ hours or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Cool in the tin.
- Once the cake has cooled completely wrap in baking paper and store in an airtight tin in a cool dry place.
- Notes: The brown paper acts as an insulator to stop the cake burning during the cooking process. If you don’t have brown paper you can use newspaper to wrap the outside of the cake tin, as well as the bottom of the cake tin, which also acts as an insulator. To do this, stand the cake tin on 4-5 sheets of newspaper (minimum), then bring newspaper around the side of tin and secure with string. Cut the newspaper down to the height of the cake tin. Then line the inside of the cake tin with 2 layers of baking paper.