Mexican Spiced Jackfruit Tacos
Jackfruit is a wonderful substitute for any type of recipe that would call for shredded meat, like in these Mexican Spiced Jackfruit tacos. The fruit itself has a mild, slightly sweet flavour that soaks up any spices you throw its way. Topped with avocado coconut cream, these tacos are an easy weeknight dinner or party dish.
- 1 pack soft shell tacos or tostadas
- 1 cup thawed organic corn, or fresh from the cob (cooked and drained)
- 1 medium white onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 cans Organics black beans, rinsed thoroughly, and drained
- 3 tbsp Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 limes
- Salt and pepper to serve
Avocado Coconut Cream & Mexican Spiced Jackfruit
- 3 tbsp organic egg free vegan mayonaise
- 1 large avocado
- 6 large organic gherkins, finely diced
- 2–3 tablespoons water
- 2 large lemons
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 400 g can Organic Jackfruit
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 3 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- Dice the onions and garlic. Start by sauteing the onions in a frying pan until they turn soft & translucent, then add the garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add the chili powder, cumin, & smoked paprika & continue cooking for a few minutes more.
- Drain the cans of black beans (do not rinse them). Add the black beans into the frying pan & continue to cook.
- Pour 1/4 cup water over the beans & let everything simmer. The beans will soak up the moisture & flavor from the liquid as it evaporates. Use a spoon to mash the black beans to your desired texture. Add the juice of 2 limes and turn off the heat.
- You can place the beans into a bowl, clean the pan, and place the corn into the frying pan. On a medium heat, cook the corn until slightly charred. This will take about 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, drain a can of jackfruit and pour contents into a bowl. Using your fingers, pull apart the jackfruit so that it resembles more of a string, pulled pork type consistency. Add tomato sauce, tamari and sweet paprika and mix. Place into a medium heat frying pan and sautee for 10 mins until cooked. Place into a bowl to serve and set aside.
- In the meantime, make the avocado cream.
- In a bowl, place the mayo, avocado, gherkins and lime juice and mash until smooth.
- Place aside until corn is charred.
- To serve, heat the tostadas according to packet, and serve all of your components together with some fresh coriander.
- Enjoy with some extra sriracha or chilli flakes (optional!)