Vegan Hot Cross Buns
It’s not Easter without hot cross buns! Try this vegan version which is full of all the traditional flavours of cinnamon, mixed spice, fruit and citrus.
plantbased, vegan, vegetarian, baking, breakfast, brunch, snack, sweettreats
- 1 tbsp Organic Ground Linseeds
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 tbsp Organic Golden Sugar
- 50 g Organic Coconut Oil melted
- ½ cup warm water
- 1 ½ tbsp instant yeast
- 2 tsp Organic Golden Sugar, extra
- 4 cups Organic Stoneground White Flour
- 3 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground all spice
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 ¾ cups mixed fruit
- ¼ cup mixed peel
Crosses & glaze
- ½ cup Organic Stoneground White Flour
- 1 tsp Organic Golden Sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tbs water
- 2 tbsp Organic Golden Sugar
- Combine the ground linseeds and water in a small bowl. Set aside while preparing the other ingredients.
- Warm the non-dairy milk and stir in the 3 tablespoons golden sugar and the coconut oil. Cool until the mixture is lukewarm.
- Place the water, yeast and extra golden sugar into a medium bowl. Sit in a warm place for 10 minutes or until the mixture is frothy. Add the lukewarm milk mixture and the ground linseed mixture.
- Place the flour, spices, mixed fruit and mixed peel into another large bowl. Add the liquid ingredients and mix well with a wooden spoon. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured board and knead for 5 to 10 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic. Place in an oiled bowl and cover with a clean tea towel. Leave in a warm place for 30 to 40 minutes, or until it has doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C. Turn the dough out of the bowl and knead lightly. Divide the dough into 16 portions and shape into balls. Place about 1 cm apart on a baking tray or a 20 x 30 cm metal baking dish lined with baking paper. Cover with a clean tea towel and leave in a warm place for 20 minutes.
- To prepare the crosses, combine the flour, golden sugar and the water and mix to form a thick, smooth paste. Place into a piping bag and pipe a cross onto the top of each bun. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until golden.
- While the buns are cooking, make the glaze. Place the golden sugar and water in a small saucepan. Stir over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved. Brush the warm buns with the glaze.
- *This recipe has been tested using standard metric measurements. For best results use standard cups and measuring spoons to measure ingredients.
- *Replace mixed fruit and mixed peel with other dried fruit such as raisins, currants or sultanas.