Versatile Black Bean Soup
This black bean soup is filling and flavourful, a nourishing combo that basically combines some pantry staples in a pot for around a half hour to simmer – so it’s very hands off. It’s gluten free too. So if you were in need of a little comfort food recipe inspo for the cooler months, definitely give this black bean soup a go.
Black beans are a winning base because of their fibre and protein content, both around 15 grams per cup cooked… They also add a creamy flavour depth that can be complimented by just about any other added ingredients – literally. This recipe can be easily adapted to what you have on hand, so it’s great for when you’re running low on supplies. Even frozen vegetables work well here. This recipe is versatile, you can have it as a soup or let it reduce and serve with rice.
This soup recipe yields around 6-8 serves and will keep in the fridge for up to 4 or so days – so it’s a good one to include in your weekly meal prep for super easy and healthy lunches or dinners over the week! Just heat and eat! You could also freeze it for up to a month. This soup pairs well with the simple things in life, toast, blankets and Netflix.
- 2 tbsp Organic Olive Oil, Extra Virgin Cold-Pressed
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely grated or minced
- 2 tsp Organic Cayenne Pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cans Organic Tomatoes, Chopped
- 3 carrots, roughly chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cans Organic Black Beans , semi drained and rinsed
- 500g whole kernel corn, frozen
- Organic Sriracha Chilli Sauce
- Avocado (optional)
- Yoghurt (optional)
- Heat a large pot over medium heat, then add your oil and garlic. Fry off gently until fragrant. Next add your spices, and increase the heat to a low boil. Add in the chopped tomatoes, carrots and vegetable broth. Stir to combine.
- Increase heat to a low boil and add in the black beans and corn. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 20 or so minutes. The longer you leave it the less liquid the soup is. If you leave it to thicken up, you could serve this over rice too. Serve up and enjoy straight away or use as part of your weekly meal prep.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container, or single serves for meal prep. This soup keeps in the fridge for 4-5 days – so perfect for take to work lunches or instant heat and eat meals after a long day!